Thursday, June 23, 2011

A conversation/ Jonathan/June 23

Below is a transcript of a conversation I've been having with Travis Johnson, the WHM missionary in Bundibugyo, Uganda. I wasn't sure how the follow-up would go, but it seems like this could turn into something.  I'm encouraged to hear that Edward, the headmaster, is doing POJ with some students there at Christ School.

On May 31, 2011, at 4:52 PM, Jonathan Winfree wrote:
Hi Travis and Amy - We've arrived back in Florida (much hotter than Uganda, I might say!), and are pressing on with a new week. I wanted to send you a note of thanks for your hospitality and encouragement and generosity during our stay in Bundibugyo.  I was encouraged and excited about the work you are doing...and planning to do in the future. I wanted to also ask if you would give me some feedback on your thoughts regarding the Person of Jesus training. While I realize this was a small seed, it will take many more follow throughs.   As you think about future trainings with the teachers at Christ School, what would those look like? Do you think that would even be valuable or plausible?  My strategy would be for you to identify 3-5 Ugandans who are serious Christians, passionate about discipleship, and who you've seen take initiative in using the Person of Jesus with their students (doesn't have to be one of the teachers, but they are fresh in my mind).  Once we've identified those, we can spend more concentrated time with them, with the goal that they might begin discipling 3-5 others, and so forth.  The one thing that really struck me in thinking afterward about it was the opportunity with students. Modeling servant leadership to the next generation by looking at Jesus is a wonderful contribution toward the visibility of God's kingdom in Bundibugyo and beyond. I think these teachers have a tremendous harvest to reap in front of them, provided they are sowing.  I hope that we can work together in the future. I will certainly be praying for you all and hope we were some help to you in coming.  Let me know, at your convenience, what your thoughts are.  Thanks again for all your work in having us. What a blessing. 


"Thanks Jonathan,  Thanks for coming and for the encouragement you and your team brought us.  We would love to have you back anytime.  As far as future conferences, I agree with you that the focus could really be on teaching our teachers how to teach the material to the students.  They have commented several times how much they enjoyed the morning session and how much they appreciated seeing a 19 yo able to express the gospel so clearly.  Having a couple of days of going through the material in discussion groups during the morning and then have them model teach it in the afternoon would be great.  The idea of small group discipleship and multiplication of leaders through small groups is great.  It is not very cultural and will take time to see it expressed here.  Giving the teachers tools and time to try leading small groups is a start.  Our Headmaster is doing it with a few students.  Sadly, we have too many students and not enough mentors.  Pray for people that can lead small groups of teachers who then can lead small groups of students.  Thanks for your prayers.  Let us know how to pray for you.  I have been praying for direction for you with See Jesus ministries.

Travis



No comments:

Post a Comment